Sign of Hero
|What is this page all
about? Well I'm working to make a "so-called" arrangement of the song,
"Sign of Hero" from Klonoa Heroes: Densetsu no Star Medal on GameBoy
Advance. For those who doesn't know the song or haven't complete the game
and are interest to hear how the original song sounds like, you may
download it on the "Special Download" page under the Music
section. As you can see,
Namco Sound Team at Klonoa Works did a pretty job of composing music on
the GBA for the game. The game cart is 16 MB (or 128Mbits) and most of
the space were use for voices for three main characters (that's Klonoa,
Guntz and Pango for those who doesn't know...and shame on you if you
didn't know!!!), instrument sampling (not a lot was use; continue reading
for more info) and of course... the freakin' vocal song! Namco Sound Team
took the advances of the GBA SPU (sound processor unit) by using those
"8-bit, GameBoy sound/instrument" (those bloob. beep sounds) instead of
shoving lots of "real" instrument sampling (like piano, guitar, strings,
flute, drums, etc...) to compose the music. Of course there were some
"real" instrument that the Namco Sound Team has to included to compose
the music like the drums set and such (and not to mention that they are
in low quality).
So how are my arrangement going to sound like? Basically I'm just "replacing" those "8-bit, GameBoy sound/instrument" into any of the "real" instrument that I think it will sound nice. I'm only a newbie when it comes to composing and arrangement to music so don't expect for the arrangement of Sign of Hero to sound any good like those people who submitted their work at OverClocked ReMix or any other arrangement video game music sites.
UPDATES (Newest at bottom):
August 23, 2003
- Later on I'll put down the tools I used to make this arrangement but right now I have a sample, draft, not final version of my arrangement for you. Download it, listen to it and if you could, please tell me what you think of it. Any question, comment, or suggestion, you can e-mail me or message me on AIM (see "Home" page for info).
August 30, 2003
- As you can see, I had finish my "semi-arrangement" version of Sign of Hero. Reason why it called that because half of it I composed and the other half is taken from the game. Also this isn't the final version. I might make some change of the instruments...especially in the chorus part. I'm going to be working on a "full arrangement" of the song, meaning that I compose everything; nothing is taken from the game. Also that mean that there won't be a vocal in my arrangement (unless I can find someone to sing the lyric or maybe I can sing it. LOL) so it's also going to be a instrumental version too. I'll update more info as I make more progress into the arrangement.
September 30, 2003
- Okay... I now [un]officially announce that this "semi-arrangement" is the final version. I will not make any more changes in the future (unless I feel like it. LOL). Yes, I did made some small changes, if you download this final version. So any questions or comments, don't hesitate to e-mail me about it. As for my other project, for the "full arrangement," I'm putting it on hold. Yeah... I know it suck. The reason why because it has to do with the lack of equipment (and some lack of skills ^^;;) for me to even start composing a full arrangement. So until then, enjoy this semi-arrangement. Ja ne!
October 05, 2003
- Wow! A semi-arrangement final version has an update? Yeah, it can happen because I say so! It just a very small update, you won't note the differences from the September 30 to this one. You want to know what is it? Okay, I'll tell you. If you haven't notice, when the music is playing while you're in a vision, the music sounds a bit different from the Jukebox that you can access it when you beat the game. Basically some instrument doesn't have a "reverb" effect while you're playing the game. In the jukebox, all instrument and vocal goes through the reverb process in the SPU. Why did the developers programmed it that way? I have some theories, but I don't want to say them. Anyway, "Sign of Hero" being played in the jukebox gives out "clipping" noise (it indicated sound distortion aka it sounds too loud) due to the fact that the vocal are going through the reverb process while the music being played in the ending credit does not. So I use the one that doesn't have the vocal going through the reverb process because I want to use my own reverb in Cool Edit Pro. So if you are one of those people that likes to have the latest of anything or care about quality of something, then you may go download this version. For new visitor that haven't download the previous semi-arrangement, then just enjoy this (again) final version.
October 11, 2003
- As I stated on the "News and Updates" home page, I will have a
sample of my full arrangement for download. If you can, please
e-mail me and tell me what do you think of it. Any comments or suggestions are welcome
October 22, 2003
- Here's the impossible! I have the full song of the full arrangement ready for download! ...and no it's not the final version. Also, I took out the "vocal instrument" out because I'm having a bit of problem with the second verse and also I meant for my full arrangement to be an instrumental version (plus you can now sing along so can it act a a karaoke version too. LOL). There will be adjustment made later but for now, enjoy this one.
October 26, 2003
- Blah, blah, blah. You know the deal. I made some adjustment to version 1 and had uploaded version 2 for download. I hope to have the "final version" of the song by the end of this week. Also, I'm planning on a vocal arrangement. One of my cousin who goes by the name "Suteki" (why me...?) is volunteering to sing the song. Now all she needs to do is practices, come over to my house and are willing to sing in front of me since I have the equipment for vocal and audio mixing. ADDED: I was only joking cuz. Don't take it seriously.
November 18, 2003
- Gasp! What do we have here?!? A FINAL version of the full arrangement?!? It is true? Well if you're still sleeping then wake up because it is true. I have finally finish my full arrangement and this is, the FINAL version of it. Goodness I'm so tired from this about 3 months project. So enjoy yourself by download this. NOTE: If you like, I also have the full arrangement with the "pan flute" taken place of the vocal. My cousin was "too afraid" to sing and for some "odd" reason she doesn't like how her voice sounds when singing. So an instrument vocal should do...for now...unless someone volunteer t sing the song, then it would be better. If you would like the "pan flute" vocal version, contact me via AIM or e-mail and request for it. I do not have that much space to host up another song in this server. I might find a mirror to host it temporarily.